Prior Learning Assessment

Middle School

Earn College Credit for What You Already Know

This is possible at Rhode Island College and it is referred to as prior learning assessment, or PLA. There are multiple methods right now by which you can earn college credit for learning gained beyond the traditional classroom from tests, training, experience, etc. Current PLA options are described here and we are in the process of developing additional opportunities. Note: You must be enrolled at Rhode Island College as an undergraduate degree student for any PLA credits to be posted.

Quickly Understand These Options

Two students studying


Credit may be earned via exam through a testing program such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or you may have AP credit from when you were in high school (AP score of 3 or higher will be awarded credit). Explore for additional information and a table of tests and RIC equivalents.

Josh Brown, police officer in uniform

Law Enforcement

Training experience in a variety of law enforcement areas qualifies for elective credit at RIC. Official documentation is required. Explore for a list of training experience and elective credit awarded.

Military students raising a flag

Military Training

If you have military experience, you may be awarded additional college level credit for ACE credits documented in Joint Services Transcripts (JTS) and other related military documents. Explore for additional information.

RIC student with staff member completing forms


The college has a procedure for granting undergraduate credit for prior college-level learning achieved through experience, such as workplace learning or community service, self-education, relevant work assignments or artistic development presented via a portfolio. Explore for more information and for the PLA application form.

Professor teaching economics class


The Feinstein School of Education & Human Development offers a variety of credential pathway assessments for individuals with an earned bachelor’s degree who wish to earn a RI teaching certificate, or for those already certified in RI who wish to renew certification or add an additional certification area. Explore for more information.

Two students talking outside the Forman Center

Transfer Minors

Transfer minors provide a stackable credential with the packaging of specific earned credits from designated associate degree programs. Approved transfer minors are posted on the student’s Rhode Island College transcript. Explore for a list of transfer minors and required courses.

Rhode Island College entrance

Contact Us

Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs

Welcome to the ​academic advising web page, designed to be a source of useful information for students. While still under development, the page has several useful documents for you to begin using now.

Holly Shadoian

Dr. Holly L. Shadoian

Vice Provost of Undergraduate Affairs